Monday, October 25, 2010

FREAK FARM: THE FAKE MOVIE TRAILER


What do you do with ten minutes of unused video that you shot for a college project twenty years ago? Naturally you make a fake movie trailer out of the footage and upload it to be used on your blog followed by a fake movie poster and a fake news clipping.


(For everyone visiting from Weird Hollow, sorry but the whole thing is fake. Really, after watching the trailer, I’m sure you figured that out. What? Did the monster wearing acid washed jeans give it away?)

Ok, let me explain the big "why do that?" Looking for something fun and vintage for this year’s countdown I once again turned to my old stash of video that I shot back when I was in my late teens to early twenties. Last year for the Halloween countdown I edited together I Was a Teenage Zombie and for this year’s countdown you get treated (or tricked) with Freak Farm. Freak Farm started out as a college project that my pal Tim Williams and I worked on back in 1990 or '91. Back then, it was just a fun day of running around at an old farm trying to act scary wearing a rubber mask with some cheap sunglasses. (You’ll recognize the green army jacket from the teenage zombie vid. By the way I still have that jacket.) We never ended up using the footage until now, twenty years later. (I can hear my family and friends cringing at this very moment.)

You know, it’s kinda difficult to come up with a story using a bunch of random shots from long ago. To fill out the trailer we went all George Lucas (w/o the computer effects) and shot a couple of new scenes to hopefully match up with our old shots. Yep, that’s me as the mushroom lovin’ hillbilly with the bad teeth and Tim is the hippie guy. Hmm... that wig he’s wearing looks awfully familiar.

I don’t know if anyone else will dig this video or not, but I do know it sure was fun for us, as it’s a good reminder from when we had big dreams and big fun making weird and fun videos. These moving images you watched are simply just recorded good times!

No comments: