Tuesday, June 29, 2010

THE FUTURO IS SO BRIGHT, I GOTTA WEAR SHADES

On our way to Chicago last week the first lady and I saw a UFO. Yep, a crazy saucer looking ship that landed smack dab in the parking lot of a antique mall.


Actually, it turned out to be a Futuro house and last fall it found a new home at the Pink Elephant Antique mall in Livingston, Illinois. I was told that it came from Springfield, Illinois and that it was exhibited at the Illinois State Fair back in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

I’ve seen many photographs of Futuro houses, but never seen one in person. Really, I thought my chances of seeing a real UFO were better since there’s not too many Futuro houses left in existence.

Designed in Finland by Matti Suuronen as a prefab ski cabin the Futuro was going to be the house of the future. A low-cost house that people could purchase and have it delivered anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, less than 100 houses were produced because of the high price of plastics and eventually the future ran out for the Futuro.

Hey, I think the Futuro house is staring at you. Go ahead and try your luck with a staring contest with Futuro. I bet you'll lose!


For more info on Futuro houses check out the links below -
Futuro-House.net
Wikipedia
Hooked on Houses
NY Times
Vintage slide photo from Dan Goodsell
Close Encounter by Noel Kerns
Flickr Futuro group
Home Movie of a Futuro house at the Boardwalk in Wildwood, New Jersey. (At 1:02)
Futuro Slideshow
News Clip

If you want to see a Futuro house, visit the Pink Elephant Antique mall in Livingston, Illinois off of I-55.

When you visit say hi to Marilyn, just be careful not to get a splinter!

4 comments:

Mike Middleton said...

That's pretty awesome. Did you get your camera fixed?

Todd Franklin said...

Nope, not yet.

busyizzie said...

I've seen the futuro in Rockwall Texas up close. I even snuck into it! http://busyizzie.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-12-05T20%3A41%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=20

Matt C said...

The Futuro house at the Pink Elephant Antique mall has been painted Camaro Green !!!
It is supposed to be made into seating area for eating.