Thursday, September 08, 2016

HAPPY 50TH ANNIVERSARY STAR TREK



Today marks the 50th anniversary of everyone's favorite TV space western! Actually, it was two days ago on September 6th that truly marked the 50th because Star Trek aired first on Canadian television. Above is an ad that ran in the Edmonton Journal newspaper on September 6, 1966, for CFRN Channel 3 TV and it aired that evening at 7:30 p.m. Viewers had a choice of Let's Sing Out, a rerun of Glynis or Star Trek. I suspect some of the first Trekkies in the world were born that night in Canada. 


In the United States, Star Trek was shown as part of NBC's sneak previews night on September 8, 1966, beginning with the episode, The Man Trap. The ad above is from the Sept. 3-9, 1966 issue of TV Guide. Understandably not realizing the cultural impact that Trek would have; TV Guide put Eva Gabor on their cover. Apparently, the folks at TV Magazine, a supplement for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had a good idea of the importance of the show and featured Captain Kirk on their cover.
     
(Images from eBay)

Newspaper TV listing for the first Star Trek


Watch some early promos for Star Trek!

1967 RCA Television Ad

Trekkie, Trekker or Trek-hater; I'm sure all of us can remember our own introduction to Star Trek. I wasn't around for the original broadcasts and discovered Trek thru reruns in the 70's. My dad, brother and I watched the show most Saturday nights on KRCG-13 out of Jefferson City, MO. I don't think I ever saw a complete episode as I could never stay awake. I did much better once it aired in the afternoon after school. 

1976 KRCG-13 Ad

Of course, you can't talk about Star Trek and not list your favorite episodes. Mine have always been Arena, Mirror Mirror, The City on the Edge of Forever, Catspaw and Spectre of the Gun. I think I'll be watching these later tonight to celebrate the big anniversary. 

Happy 50th, Star Trek! You still look bright and vibrant as ever!!

1 comment:

Tom said...

For the most part, Star Trek never caught on with me as a kid, but I did watch the occasional episode in reruns on Saturday afternoons. It wasn't until a high school science fiction writing class that I saw "City on the Edge of Forever" which became my favorite episode. I was always crazy for time travel stories. Kirk's decision to let Edith Keeler die to save the future was a powerful moment along with his final line, "Let's get the Hell out of here." I think I'll watch that tonight.