Monday, September 25, 2006

VINTAGE LONG JOHN SILVER'S RESTAURANT MASCOT SIGN

Argghh ye maties, we didn’t find the pirate’s treasure but we found the pirate!

We set out on the morning of September 19th for a little trip on Rt. 66 and our first stop was in Rolla, Missouri at the Mule Trading Post. This not-to-be-missed historical roadside shop had a mix of typical Rt. 66 memorabilia, Missouri souvenirs, and flea market stuff.


As I was digging through an old medicine cabinet filled with spice tins and old jars I happened to look down to see a cartoon pirate looking up at me with his one good eye! Since he looked awful familiar, I pulled him out from behind an old desk and brushed off the dust and cobwebs that he’d been collecting. Sure enough he was Long John Silver and not just some generic Long John, but the advertising mascot for Long John Silver's Seafood restaurants back in 1969 when the restaurant started.


The kooky thing about finding this old LJS sign was that September 19th was Talk Like a Pirate Day!

So for the rest of the day we talked like pirates as we traveled on the mother road with a pirate in the trunk!

4 comments:

Shawn Robare said...

Man, I never realized they had a mascot. I missed out on so much as a kid...

Anonymous said...

Scurvy dogs! What a GREAT find!

Kirk D. said...

Good Gravey! What an incredible find!
Looks beautiful. I was JUST commenting on waffle whiffer's blog about ol' Long John.
I found a lesser sign of LJ's bust a number of years ago and it's one of my favorite pieces. You never cease to amaze.

Todd Franklin said...

Smurf, Waffle and Kirk -- Thanks for commenting!

I've always been a LJS fan as I have so many fun memories from when I was a kid and during my college days! Ring that bell on the way out!