Friday, March 30, 2007

1977 NESTLE QUIK & SUNSHINE HYDROX SIGN

Flea Market Fridays #6

I didn’t think I was going to have anything interesting for today, but luckily I found this great advertising sign yesterday.

From 1977 is this cardboard sign that once got the attention of supermarket shoppers. It let them know that they could get a free half gallon of milk with just a purchase of two Hydrox cookie packages and one can of Quik.

Wow! Now that sounds like a good deal.

The best part about the sign is that it features not only the Quick Bunny, but also Drox, the Hydrox mascot.

Poor Drox disappeared back in 1991, thanks to Pillsbury when they sued Sunshine, saying that little Drox looked too much like the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Hmm . . . I don’t know? I don’t see any arms or legs on Drox. He doesn’t wear a chef’s hat either. I don’t remember the commercials, so if he didn’t act or sound like the Doughboy, I think that lawsuit was kind of unreasonable. Anyway, Hydrox cookies were discontinued back in 1996.

The sign is a little beat up, but it was a cheap price and I’m always amazed when things like this survive when most of them were tossed into the garbage the day after the promotion.

5 comments:

Mike Middleton said...

Nice banner NC. We need to see some comic related stuff in it though!

Waffle Whiffer [Brandon] said...

Once again, "Wow"!

No offense to the Quik Rabbit, but The Drox steals the show here by far!

I remember those cookies, but have no recollection of The Drox at all. Was he featured in any commercials or premiums?

Good stuff, Neato Coolville!

Scott said...

Pretty cool! Where did you find this and how much did you pay for it? Nice graphics. It is amazing to compare the Nesquik Rabbit then to how he looks now. As for Drox, I never ever ever have heard of or seen him. As for looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy, well, I guess they are both white? Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Waffle Whiffer [Brandon] said...

The Drox looks more like the Michelin Man than the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Todd Franklin said...

Mike - Yeah, you know I had a hard time picking out the images to use.

Waffle - I really don't remember Drox either and I looked for some ads on Youtube and found none. I have no clue if any Drox premiums were ever made.

Scott - I found this sign locally and I paid a big whopping $6 for the sign.