Tuesday, April 12, 2011

SPACE SHUTTLE 30TH ANNIVERSARY

Today is filled with historical anniversaries with the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War and the 50th Anniversary of the first man into Space.  Besides those two important anniversaries there’s another. It’s the 30th Anniversary of the Space Shuttle Columbia's first launch.

This is the anniversary that really touches me in a nostalgic way. The Space Shuttle really fueled my imagination and made myself and every other kid back in ’81 want to become astronauts. In honor of this anniversary, here’s the cover and article from the March 20, 1981 issue of Weekly Reader Eye.


2 comments:

Mike Middleton said...

Hopefully there will be something to get the kids today excited about being astronauts.

roadsidewonders said...

Wow! I forgot all about Weekly Reader! I loved WR ... even the smell of them (thought not as much as the smell of mimeograph ink in elementary school) ;)