Friday, March 30, 2012

A ROMANTIC LOOK AT THE YEAR 2110 FROM 1909

FLEA MARKET FRIDAYS #65


From the year 1909 comes this very cool postcard depicting a romantic scene from the year 2110.  I always enjoy seeing depictions of the future from different eras in the past.  I like the artist's futuristic vision of young love orbiting the Earth in a balloon rocket and wearing a space helmet built for two.  


The card has a postmark from the small town of Pattonsburg, Missouri and is dated Oct. 25 1909 at 5p.m.  It was mailed to Miss Lucy Wallace of Lucas Kansas.  The message on the back - "I thought I would send you and Nellie an air ship.  That's the way people go in Mo.  Automobiles are too common.  Think Clara & Clyde and Mabel & Charley are clear out of style.  Don't you?  Have been in Pattonsburg the past week, but am going home now.  It has rained nearly every day this week and some.  B.C."

1 comment:

Mike Middleton said...

I've been trying to tell people that's how we Missourians go but nobody ever believed me. Great postcard NC!