Friday, February 13, 2015

VALENTINE FELT SOUVENIR FROM THE 1940 NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR

FLEA MARKET FRIDAYS #87

Here's something perfect for the day before Valentine's Day.  


Last weekend, I attended an antique show and added some things to my 1939-40 New York World's Fair collection. The item I'm featuring today is a fun one, especially for this month. Interesting that this one is Valentine's Day themed, especially since the second year of the fair didn't open until April. I've seen examples of paper "school" style NYWF Valentines before but this is the first time I've seen a felt one.

Seventy-five years ago, Oscar and Bernice probably waited a few minutes at one of the many exhibits and had this souvenir  embroidered with their names. When I find personalized souvenirs like this I can't help to wonder who the people were. What was this couple's story? Young or old? Dating or married? Did they have a long life together? Always questions with souvenirs like this. One question that probably can be answered is that Oscar and Bernice apparently had a fun day being together at the 1940 New York World's Fair!  

No comments: