Wednesday, February 18, 2015

BREEDERS OF THE LOST STORK: HOWARD THE DUCK RAIDERS POSTER RECREATION


We all know the film Howard the Duck was a bomb and has often been criticized. I saw the film during its initial release in 1986 when I was sixteen. Even though I left the movie feeling disappointed, it still had some nuggets of coolness between the cracks. At the beginning of the film and inside Howard's apartment we see his collection of movie posters on the wall. Like everything on Duckworld, things are skewed towards a duck theme. For only a few frames we see the movie's gold nugget, a poster parody of Raiders of the Lost Ark, renamed Breeders of the Lost Stork. Wow! I've always loved parody and seeing a glimpse of that Breeders poster was such a fun moment.


After seeing the movie, I really wanted a Breeders of the Lost Stork poster for my poster cluttered bedroom wall. I had hoped the poster would be offered for purchase through the Star Wars/Lucasfilm fan club, Bantha Tracks. For a few issues, they sold Howard the Duck movie posters, but the club closed up shop and Howard the Duck bombed at the box office. When the internet hatched, I thought eventually, a good image besides the same screen grabs would pop up. I've never seen one. 

Okay internet, until a nice scan of the original prop poster surfaces, here's my feeble attempt to recreate the poster digitally. At least now, we can view it better outside of a screen grab.  


Maybe now that the egg is rolling, someone who is a real digital wizard will make one that's more precise than mine.

Here's the original Raiders poster that was parodied by the filmmakers as found on the Heritage Auctions website, next to the Breeders one. 


Due to the popularity of the Guardians of the Galaxy end credits scene, we just might get a new and much improved Howard the Duck movie. I hope tucked in the background will be a Breeders of the Lost Stork poster! Now that would be a neato cool Easter egg! 

1 comment:

jazzmonkey1138 said...

Love being able to see all the detail...thanks for sharing!