Wednesday, July 05, 2006

George Tuska


I just got back from a whirlwind trip out to Charlotte, North Carolina for the Heroes Comic Book Convention and I had a super-fun time! The person I wanted to meet the most from the giant guest list was George Tuska, the wonderful Golden and Silver Age artist who is 90 years young. It was a thrill for me to chat with him and especially watch him draw character after character. The man is a drawing machine and he stayed busy sketching during the whole show.

I was lucky enough to get two sketches for my sketch book and since George had a nice run working on Iron Man back in the late 60's and through the 1970's it was only natural that I asked him to do old shell head for me. I’ve always been a fan of the classic Golden Age heroes and so I picked Quality’s super hero Uncle Sam for the second sketch. I’m very pleased with both of them and I’m glad to have them in my collection.

It was nice visiting with his wife Dorothy and meeting Dewey Cassell, the author of The Art of George Tuska published by TwoMorrows Publishing. If you don’t own this book go out and buy it!! An excellent read with a treasure trove of Tuska’s art. Look under my links for the TwoMorrow’s website where you can order this fabulous book.

1 comment:

Mike Middleton said...

Tuska is amazing!!! That book is chock full of goodness.