Saturday, September 10, 2011

OUR D23/DISNEYLAND ADVENTURE: PART 4 TRON

Greetings programs! Rejoice! We’ve finally arrived at part four and that makes it the last Disneyland post. My twelve year old Tron loving self would have loved seeing all the cool Tron stuff at D23. Of course my 41 year old self enjoyed it just as much.

Hockey helmets off to the D23 folks who designed and set up the Tron room.


The original character costumes came to life in this black lighted environment complete with sound effects and Tron-esque voices.


Tron costume worn by Bruce Boxleitner.


Flynn costume worn by Jeff Bridges.


Yori costume worn by Cindy Morgan.


Ram costume worn by Dan Shor.


Unfortunately the Barnard Hughes costume wasn’t on display, but I did manage to buy this production piece. It’s a photo study of Dumont’s costume played by Hughes. This should make for a nice display with the note he sent me.

I’m not into Disney pins or Vinylmation, but I wasn’t able to resist these items.


At the D23 Expo, I was lucky and snagged a limited edition pin set signed by Bruce Boxleitner and Cindy Morgan. I’ve never had the chance to meet Bruce to get his autograph, so this was the next best thing. He and Cindy both attended the Expo, but his signing time conflicted with a panel. I met Cindy a few years back.

The Vinylmation is of Flynn and was the only one in the set from the first Tron.

Like I said, I’m not into pins, but I bought the Penny Arcade set just for the box. I had no clue this Atari tribute box existed and I about zapped out when I saw it displayed in one of the Main Street shops in Disneyland. You get three random pins based after classic Disneyland attractions and cult Disney movies. The design of the pins are fantasy Atari games and they’re packed inside a smaller box that’s shaped to look like the cartridge. Of course I was hoping for a Tron and Rocketeer. I was lucky and got a Tron pin along with an Astro Jets pin and a People Mover pin. If only a People Mover video game really existed! If you want a set, visit this site for info here.


I was glad to see that ElecTRONica was still open in California Adventure. We entered the Grid and this is what we saw.







If I had a bucket list when I was 12, then “Play Video Games at Flynn’s Arcade” would have probably been at the top.


Well...I got to scratch that off my imaginary list on this trip. I was envious of all the cool kids who got to visit Flynn’s Arcade when it was set up for the San Diego Comic Convention.

We walked in during the day and the place was empty. We played a bunch of classic vids for almost an hour including the imaginary game from Tron, Space Paranoids! So cool they recreated an actual working game for the arcade.

Here’s some of the games in the arcade.







I’m a neon junkie and I love old neon signs. So, neon signs based after some of my favorite games in neon form was almost too much. I managed to hold the camera long enough without going into fits to snap these next shots.










Afterwards we tried some blue lemonade at the End of Line Club and joined the Tron dance party!







Laserman was totally rad! Take a look at his performance here.



After one more game of Tron, it was time to head back to Disneyland for souvenir shopping and a few more rides! Oops, I mean attractions.

Boy, you know what? After working up these Disneyland posts my feet hurt. Hmm....it was just like I was there again.

Thanks for stopping by and surviving this retelling of our vacation.

1 comment:

David said...

where do you get the fabric from? I want to have Tron Costume and Ive been to several halloween stores and craft shops, and no one had any idea what I was looking for..

:s HELP, HALLOWEEN IS SOOOOON !