Monday, August 25, 2008

EVERYTHING WAS STAR WARS IN 7TH GRADE CRAFTS CLASS

Two items I thought were thrown out and forgotten forever were recently unearthed by my mom. Both items were created in junior high crafts class when I was twelve years old. It seems that every craft assignment that was given out I made something related to Star Wars.


This first piece might look like a primitive ancient bowl, but when you flip it over you’ll see the year 1982 with my name inscribed on the bottom. This pathetic piece of pottery has the Star Wars title wrapped around the bowl and Darth Vader’s TIE Fighter etched on the side.



The next item, a Star Wars belt was almost a disaster. All I had to do was hammer letters and shapes into the leather. Most kids hammered their names into their belts but I stamped Star Wars in mine or at least that’s what I thought.


My belt was almost finished as I had the letters STAR WA and was ready for the letter R. A classmate offered to help and asked what letter I needed. I asked for the R and unbeknownst to me he gave me the S. I could’ve died after I hammered that S into my belt. My belt read STAR WAS. Terrible, terrible I just knew I would get a bad grade. Glad we had a cool teacher who worked a miracle and smoothed out that S until it was barely noticeable. Naturally I never wore my Star Was belt and it was lost in my closet until recently.



If you click on the above image you'll see that I used the Masonic Square & Compass symbol for a design. We didn't have many shapes to choose from and I thought two Masonic symbols put together sort of resembled an X-Wing.

Don’t forget to check out the flickr group Growing Up Star Wars where you can see hundreds of vintage photos, kid drawings and crafts from back in the day. If you have any images from 1977 - 1985 feel free to post them to the group and take part in the fun! All you need to do is join flickr and that's free.

1 comment:

Mike Middleton said...

Are you sure that TIE fighter wasn't on the wall at the Well Of Souls?